The Motability Scheme enables disabled people in the UK to lease a new car, scooter or powered wheelchair, simply by exchanging their mobility allowance which is funded by the government. If you a recipient of any of the following benefits you may be eligible for the Motability scheme;

  • The Higher Rate Mobility Component of the Disability Living Allowance (HMRC DLA);
  • The Enhanced Rate of the Mobility Component of the Personal Independence Payment (ERMC PIP);
  • The War Pensioners' Mobility Supplement (WPMS); or
  • The Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP).



You must have at least 12 months’ benefit award length remaining to lease a car through the Motability scheme. It is only the higher or enhanced rate of the mobility allowance that is used to fund the scheme. Note that the Attendance Allowance cannot be used to lease a car through Motability.

A popular misconceptions regarding eligibility for the Motability Scheme is that there is an upper age limit, which is not the case. In fact a third of Underwoods Motability customers are aged over 65. You only need to be receiving one of the allowances listed above and you will eligible for the Scheme. The confusion occurs as the Department for Work and Pensions does have an upper age limit of 64 for people applying for disability related benefits for the first time. If you are applying for disability related benefits for the first time and are aged 65 or over, the Department for Work and Pensions will request that you register a claim for Attendance Allowance, which is not eligble to use for the Motability Scheme.

One of the greatest parts of the Scheme is that Parents (or guardians) are able to lease a car on behalf of a child aged three years and above, who is receiving the Higher Rate Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance. That’s great news for parents who child is disabled to get them out and about!


If you are still unsure and need help or confirmation whether you are eligible for the allowance, you can contact one of the following agencies:
- To enquire about claiming Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payment, telephone 03457 123456 or visit the DWP website.
- To enquire about claiming War Pensioners' Mobility Supplement or Armed Forces Independence Payment, please contact Veterans UK on 0808 191 4218 or visit the Veterans UK website.

It is important to know that neither Underwoods nor Motability decides who receives the allowance, only The Department for Work and Pensions decides. If for whatever reason you lose the allowance during your lease, Underwoods will make arrangements for the return of the car, you will however only pay the cost of the lease up until the car has been returned, not for the full remaining length of the lease agreed. If you paid an Advance Payment, this will be refunded to you on a pro-rata basis.